Mobile Home Amnesty Program
As part of a county wide beautification effort, Spartanburg County Council approved a Mobile Home Amnesty Program for residents (non-commercial) to dispose of abandoned and/or uninhabitable mobile homes at the Wellford Solid Waste Management Facility at no charge. In order to qualify for this program, the following guidelines have been established and will be adhered to:
- The purpose of this program is to provide a proper disposal site for non-commercial mobile homeowners to dispose of residential mobile homes that can be safely transported intact to the Wellford Facility at no cost.
- Applications for onsite demolition of mobile homes that can not be safely transported intact to the Facility will require additional permitting through the Spartanburg County Mobile Home Department and will be handled on an individual basis.
- Residential mobile home owners must first apply in person at the Spartanburg County Mobile Homes Department located in the Administrative Building on North Church Street.
- Owners must complete a Mobile Home Registration Form for each mobile home to be disposed.
- Owners must present documentation of ownership at the time of application in the form of the title, Judicial Sale ownership document or tax receipt for each mobile home. Contact the Building Codes Department at 864-596-2727 for questions related to required documentation.
- A $30.00 transportation permit fee per mobile home will be charged at the time of application.
- After the owner has satisfied all Spartanburg County Mobile Home Department requirements, Mobile Home personnel will fax the completed Mobile Home Registration Form to the Solid Waste Coordinator at the Wellford Solid Waste Management Facility for final processing. The Solid Waste Management Coordinator will notify the owner in writing of approval.
- Upon receipt of written notification, the owner is required to contact the Solid Waste Coordinator at 864-949-0211 at least 5 days prior to the planned disposal date to arrange for acceptance of the mobile home at the Wellford Solid Waste Management Facility.
- All furniture, appliances and personal items including clothing, household trash and household items must be removed from the interior of the home prior to delivery to the Wellford Solid Waste Management Facility. Mobile homes will be inspected upon arrival at the Wellford Facility. Mobile homes delivered to the Wellford Facility that contain waste within the mobile home will not be accepted until the owner removes and properly disposes of the items. Due to traffic flow and handling problems, the mobile home may not be cleaned out at the Facility, but must be cleaned out prior to delivery.
- Authorized personnel of Spartanburg County Building Codes Department will affix a Facility permit on the left front window of the Mobile Home indication the mobile home is approved for disposal. Mobile home delivered to the Facility without the affixed permit will not be accepted for disposal under the Mobile Home Amnesty Program.
- Due to special handling issues, approved mobile homes will be accepted at the Wellford Solid Waste Management Facility during the following operating hours only: 8:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. Monday - Friday.
All mobile home transporters must stop at the Wellford Solid Waste Management Facility scale house in the inbound bypass lane for processing. Due to safety and equipment issues, transporters should not attempt to transport mobile homes across the scale.