Why do we need a new City/County Government Complex?

The existing City Hall and the County Administration Building, both constructed in the early 1960s, are more than 50 years old. Both facilities were built prior to modern codes and standards. Both facilities have physical issues that impact operating requirements. Those issues include: inappropriate accessibility for mobility-impaired persons; insufficient power and data supply for modern technology; and inadequate heating, ventilation, and cooling.

  • The County Administration Building is a former Sears Department store, which was adapted for governmental use. Although the building has served its purpose for approximately 30 years, there are issues with respect to public service, security, and availability of natural light. The building is experiencing structural problems to include water leaks and adequate ventilation. The most overcrowded spaces are those with the highest volume of public contact, such as the Assessor, Auditor, and Treasurer. The crowded conditions can result in extended wait times and loss of confidentiality.
  • Nearly all components in the City Hall are suffering from some degree of overcrowding, with the Police Department and Municipal Court in particularly inadequate space. Due to differences in the nature of operations, functions such as the Police Department, Fire Department, and Municipal Court are not typically co-located with general governmental administrative functions, such as the City Council, Mayor, and Finance.

Show All Answers

1. What was the bond referendum and when did it take place?
2. Now that the referendum has passed, when will the additional one cent sales tax begin, and when does it end?
3. Does the additional one cent sales tax apply to all sales?
4. How much revenue is estimated to be generated by an additional one cent sales tax annually?
5. How will revenue from the one cent sales tax be used?
6. Why do we need a New Judicial Center?
7. Why do we need a new City/County Government Complex?
8. Why combine City and County Government facilities?